Friday, January 8, 2016

Gen 2 Ch 11: Lullaby


"Good morning, love."
Matilda yawned. "Good morning."
"I have a surprise for you today, Matilda. Meet me downstairs by the planters in ten minutes, alright?"
"A surprise? By the planters?"
Matilda looked very confused, but Bloom just winked at her and got out of bed.


"So, what is it, Bloom? You've got me really curious now!"
"Just one second darling, let me finish watering this one. Okay. I want you to help me with the harvest today!"
"Me? Help? But you know I'm no good with..."
"Shh, Matilda. It's easy, trust me."


"Here, start with these two. You just grab them under the leaves like so..." He gently directed her hands.
"Like this?"
"Yes, there you go!" He released her hands. "Go on, just pull now."
"Alright then..."
Bloom watched with anticipation as Matilda pulled out first one, and then another green fruit.


Could it be? Were they both successful harvests? Bloom could hardly believe his luck!


Matilda had placed one of the wriggling babies on the floor and stood there holding the other one, with a blank expression on her face. She must be too surprised to show her excitement, thought Bloom.


To his own surprise and delight, the third one turned out to be another success! He didn't notice Matilda placing the second child on the floor as well.


"Let's call this one Cypress, alright, Matilda? After the beautiful cypress trees we saw in Champs Les Sims!"
"Mh..."


"Matilda, love, I know, three babies is quite the shock, isn't it? I planted three of them, hoping that maybe just one would work out. But all three! I could have never imagined being this lucky!"
"Mhm..." Matilda still stared blankly. "I'm going to go take a shower."


He watched her as she walked back inside without another word. She did seem a lot more surprised than Bloom had anticipated. He wondered...


A tiny wail brought his mind back into the present moment.
"Alright, you three! Let's get you into your cribs. Luckily I did buy three, just in case..."


After setting up the two extra cribs and placing each baby in one of them, Bloom noticed that Matilda was taking longer than usual in the shower.


He could still hear the water running from the bathroom.


 Finally, the door opened and Matilda came into the room. She closed her eyes and let out a deep sigh.
"I thought maybe I had dreamed all this."


"Matilda, I know this is a bit much to take in all at once. I really hadn't planned on three--"


 "But you planned one?", she interrupted in a harsh tone that took Bloom aback. He had never seen his wife like this.


"Well, yes. It is the only way PlantSims can reproduce, with the exception of Broc, apparently. But we tried so many times and nothing... I thought you would be happy. You always fuss over your friends' babies and you were so excited when Beryllium was pregnant..."


"I was just being polite, Bloom! This... this..." She looked around the room. "This is not what I imagined for my life..."


There was a moment of silence between them.


Then Bloom took Matilda's hand. "Matilda, I love you. I'm sorry to spring this on you like that. I know it is a lot to process. But just look at them! Look at out little ones! They need our love, and we have so much to give them."


"But Bloom, I..."
Then Bloom suddenly realized what time it was. "I... I have to go to work now, Matilda. Can you watch the babies in the meantime? I'll be back before you know it. We'll talk more when I come back, alright?"
"Alright...", Matilda whispered with a faraway look in her eyes.


"Matilda, I love you. You know I do. We can do this together, trust me. It'll be a lot of work, but it will also be the greatest adventure of our life yet. I have to go now. I'll be back soon! I love you."
"I love you too..."


It'll be alright, Bloom thought to himself as he left the room. Matilda had picked up one of the babies and was rocking it tentatively.
It will be alright.


Work was great that day! Bloom was promoted yet again and his coworkers had even thrown a little party for the release of their newest game, A Sausage's Creed 6 - Eggsellence. He excused himself early, however, because he couldn't wait to get home to tell his wife and children the good news. He did put on a jacket for his walk home, though.


When he walked through the door, the lights were off and the apartment was silent.


Maybe they were all asleep. Bloom walked up the stairs extra quietly as not to wake them.


The door to the home-office-turned-nursery was ajar and Bloom could see Matilda's guitar standing in the middle of the room.


The babies were sleeping peacefully. Had Matilda played them a lullaby? He couldn't help but smile at the thought.


Then he noticed a sheet of paper on his desk, right next to the sun-cut lapis lazuli. Bloom recognized Matilda's graceful handwriting immediately. He picked it up.


Bloom,
I'm sorry. I can't do this.
-M


Bloom dropped the note and staggered backwards.
Matilda...


He pictured her at his desk.
How long had it been? Hours? Minutes?


Had she taken one last glance at their wedding photo before placing the note on the desk underneath?


The guitar she left behind had been his gift to her.


Had she looked back once more before leaving?


Had she hesitated before entering the elevator?


Had she... had she been sad at all?


 Matilda...
She had never been good with plants.

7 comments:

  1. Well, it WAS kind of bad for Bloom to spring this on her! O.O *checks rolls* Single parent, huh? Awr. :(

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh Bloom. Maybe talk to people before making big life decisions?

    "A Sausage's Creed 6 - Eggsellence" <---I love this. :D

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. All this charisma practice and still no social skills U_U

      Thanks :D Video game developers have the dumbest uniforms!

      Delete
  3. AWWWWW!! "She had never been good with plants...." AWWWWWW!!!

    Well done on this chapter!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you! Aww indeed :( Single parent rolls are sad.

      Delete
  4. :'( Poor Bloom. That's some super hard luck there. Finding the perfect girl for her to leave him behind. Then again... that was kind of a huge surprise she sprung on him... Maybe should have talked about that *before* planting.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yup, big decisions should not be presented as surprises! Bloom learned that now I think...

      Delete